Thursday 8 May 2014

Business Card

As a Self promotion tool, I decided to revisit my Business card design. I started by looking at other people's cards from the creative industry.
I instantly thought that I was much more drawn to the business cards that have a character design on the front. I think that as character design is one of my strengths, that this is also what I would design my card around.





This (below) is my card from my work last year. I still very much like the pig character, however, am no longer so keen on the background and font style I used here.


This is another example of a business card design that I created last year. I now feel that this design is not a true reflection of my style and quality of work that I can achieve.

This is the back of the business card from last year, I feel that it is a simple and easily understandable layout and has as little writing with as much information as possible. I think that that quality is something I would like to continue onto my new design.
Since making my business cards last year, I designed this logo. I feel that this logo is more relevant to my work than ever, as the animal farm project many consists of pigs as the focal point. I also like the simplicity and use of few anchor points representing my style. I think the white and orange work well together and is an original idea.


This was a banner for my Self promotion mini-kit from last year. I think that the black background and 'tribally' style orange looks amateur and I'll avoid it for this updated style.


I had decided that I wanted one of my successful character deigns to be the focal point of my business card, and that it had to be visually appealing. I experimented with this design of my 'Spiritual chicken' character and thought it was quite successful.


I like the background i had done for this design and wanted to further experiment with what I could do with it.



I then looked at one of my three little pigs designs, the same as on the business card form last year. I think this design is the most successful as it incorporates and interesting character design with a pleasing aesthetic and colour palette.


I wanted to make my logo less distracting for these cards, so decided to take the middle box wight the text. I think this is very effective and goes a professional feel. I then went on to experiment with different colours and the white outlines behind the characters that I had experimented with for the Animal farm designs.


For the back of the design, I kept to my theme of orange and simplicity as I wanted to keep from the last year's card. I think this is an improvement due to the overall professional look and consideration behind everything in the design. I also think that the minimalist information idea works well and very little is needed to get the point across that I am an illustrator and my work is available to view at the url's provided.

I edited the final design to look like this. I think that the orange, in keeping with my colour scheme works well with the character design, and that the white outline on the character fits well with the white font of my logo.


I wanted to experiment between these two final designs, so printed out the designs with the info on the back to see which felt more professional. I think I knew before printing them that I preferred the orange design with the pig. This is because it is very bright, but not annoying, and shows a certain amount of skill behind the design. I think this promotes my style better than the purple design too.


Once I was happy with my final chosen design, I looked for options to have it professionally printed onto business cards.


I chose 'Moo' as I had used them last year and found that the quality was very good and professional, as well as I knew what to expect from this printing company.



I ordered a set of 10 cards of my final design and think that they look very nice. I believe they promote my style and aspirations as a children's book illustrator, as well as the fact that I am open to almost any other design commissions too. I think I have provided the clear and necessary information without cluttering the design. I also beleve that I have drastically improved the design from the version I has last year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment